Taliban fighters battled their way into the center of Kunduz city in northern Afghanistan on Monday, September 28 and were within blocks of the governor's compound, in one of the most serious security breaches in 14 years of war, witnesses and officials said, according to Reuters.
The assault was the second time this year that the hardline Islamist movement has besieged Kunduz city, defended by Afghan forces battling largely without NATO's support after it withdrew most of its troops last year.
The insurgents launched a three-sided surprise offensive at around dawn, and by mid-afternoon they had hoisted their white flag over Kunduz's main square, about 200 meters from the governor's compound, according to a Reuters witness.
The witness also said battles were raging in two districts close to the governor's compound.
Abdullah Danishy, deputy governor of Kunduz, confirmed the insurgents were closing in.
"There is fierce fighting ongoing at Spin Ghar park, which is some half a kilometer (550 yards) away from the governor’s compound," Danishy told Reuters by telephone.
However, he insisted the provincial center would not fall.
"We have reinforcements coming from other areas and will beat back the Taliban."






