EN
28 October 2015 - 07:25 AMT

Iran invited to participate in Syria talks in Vienna

Iran is being invited to international talks aimed at ending the Syrian civil war for the first time – just after Iranian state-controlled media reported Russian warplanes had bombed enemy positions near the Israeli-annexed Syrian territory of the Golan Heights, the Independent reports.

U.S. officials said an invitation has been extended to Iran to take part in the talks, the next round of which take place in Vienna on Friday, October 30. The invite was reportedly formally extended by Russia.

America had considered inviting Iran to the talks previously, but the invitation was finally given following days of behind-the-scenes negotiation, particularly with Iran's regional rival, Saudi Arabia.

The announcement also came just as Iranian media reported ISIS and Syrian rebel positions near the Golan Heights had been bombed by Russian forces.

The Golan Heights is an area in-between Israel and Syria, which was occupied by Israel in the Six-Day War in 1976 and effectively annexed in 1981.

The state-controlled Fars news agency said the bombing was an "important message" to Israel from Moscow over an agreement on how the two militaries' planes will share airspace over the Golan Heights. Their claims have not yet been verified.