The U.S. has apologized to Iran after 10 American sailors were arrested for entering Iranian waters, the commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards naval forces has said, according to BBC News.
General Ali Fadavi accused those detained of "unprofessional" acts. But he suggested the group, who are being held by the guards, could be released soon.
The incident comes at a sensitive time, as the U.S. and Iran try to implement the deal on Iran's nuclear activities.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry contacted Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif over the incident.
Giving his assessment of the talks, Gen Fadavi said "Zarif had a firm stance, saying that they were in our territorial waters and should not have been, and saying that they [the U.S.] should apologize".
"This has been done and it will not take long, and the naval force, according to its hierarchy, will act immediately upon the orders it receives," he added.
U.S. officials have said the sailors – nine men and a woman – are likely to be released Wednesday. There has been no confirmation from Washington that Kerry apologized.
One of the two U.S. riverine patrol boats developed mechanical problems while on a training mission and the vessels were taken to Iran's Farsi Island, the U.S. officials added.
Iran's influential Revolutionary Guard – tasked with protecting the country's 1979 Islamic revolution – has strongly defended Iranian sea borders in the past.
Fifteen British sailors and marines were held for 13 days in 2007 after they were captured in a disputed area between Iran and Iraq.
Despite last year's breakthrough nuclear deal tensions remain between the U.S. and Iran. In December, Iran's navy conducted rocket tests near U.S. warships in the Strait of Hormuz, something the US called "highly provocative".






