EN
18 April 2022 - 07:38 AMT

Armenia opposition launches anti-government campaign

The opposition in Armenia put up tents in Yerevan's Freedom Square and launched a campaign against Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and his government on Sunday, April 17.

Lawmaker Artur Vanetsyan from the "I Have Honor" bloc said he was going on a sit-in and was not going to leave the Freedom Square.

Ishkhan Saghatelyan, vice-speaker of the National Assembly and member of the Supreme Body of ARF Dashnaktsutyun, noted that "all the real opposition forces" would take to the streets, and that the struggle would be decentralized and networked.

On Monday morning, veterans of the Second Karabakh War Nver Kirakosyan and Artur Avagyan joined Vanetsyan in the Freedom Square after going on a hunger strike the previous day.

"The purpose of the hunger strike is to draw the attention of the generation [of independence] to the situation around Artsakh and to direct the implementation of practical steps," Kirakisyan said.

Vanetsyan, however, urged them to end the hunger strike, maintaining that there's a long road ahead.

The campaign came after Pashinyan said days earlier that the international community is telling the Armenian side to lower its "benchmark on the status of Nagorno-Karabakh a little and ensure greater international consolidation around Armenia and Artsakh."