EN
17 April 2013 - 05:34 AMT

Venezuelan opposition leader calls off march by his supporters

Venezuelan opposition leader Henrique Capriles called off a march by his supporters in Caracas planned for Wednesday, April 17, saying that his rivals were plotting to "infiltrate" the rally to trigger violence, Reuters reported.

Capriles says he defeated President-elect Nicolas Maduro at Sunday's election, and planned a peaceful march to the offices of the electoral authority to present the opposition's demands for a full vote recount.

Maduro had earlier said the march was banned, and that the opposition wanted to cause a coup d'etat.

Seven people were killed and 61 injured in protests that sparked up across Venezuela following the presidential election over the weekend.